Last Updated: Jan 3, 2023
While providing our Service, we may collect information about our customers’ Users on behalf of our customers. Our use of information on behalf of our customers is governed by our agreement with the applicable customer and the customer’s own privacy policies. We cannot control and are not responsible for the privacy policies or privacy practices of our customers or any other third parties.
- 1. Data Controller
- Layer is the data controller of Personal Data provided to, or collected by or for, our Website and the Service, but we may act as data processor on behalf of our customers for Personal Data that we process on their behalf when providing the Service.
2. Information We Collect And How We Use It
2.1. Collection of Information
We collect the following categories of information from our users:
- Identifiers, including name, email address, phone number, IP address and cookie identifiers,
- Certain financial-related information, including credit card number and billing address,
- Commercial information, including purchasing history of our business customer’s employees and representatives who use our Service,
- Internet or other similar network activity, such as browsing history, information on your interaction with our Website, browser type, and referring site and
- Location data
2.2. Categories of Sources
We obtain the personal information of our users from the following categories of sources:
2.2.1. Personal Data That You Provide To Us
When you interact with the Website or the Service, we may gather information that, alone or in combination with other information, could be used to identify you (“Personal Data”), as described below:
a. Personal Data used to provide the Service and respond to requests
When signing up for the Service, users are required to either provide their email address and a password while creating an account with us or may sign in with their Google Accounts. If you purchase one of our paid plans, we will also collect payment and billing information such as credit card details and billing address. We use this data to provide you with access to the Service and/or the Website, contact you regarding your access and use of the Service and/or the Website or to notify you of important changes to the Service. Such uses are necessary for the performance of the contract between you and us.
We also collect Personal Data (such as your name and contact details, such as your email and phone number) when you request information, including a product demo, ask to download content (such as white papers), register for a webinar or other event, or subscribe to email lists. We will use your contact information to respond to your request. Such uses are necessary to respond to or implement your request. If you send us a request or question regarding the use of the Service (for example via a support email or via one of our feedback mechanisms), we may publish it (in anonymous form only) in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users.
Layer collects Personal Data that you provide through the Service only insofar as is necessary or appropriate to fulfil the purpose of your interaction with Layer, such as providing you with the Service and/or answering any requests regarding the Service as described above.
b. Personal Data used for marketing
We will use your email to tell you about your Service usage, new features, solicit your feedback, or just keep you up to date with what’s going on with Layer and our products, upcoming events or other promotions. We will only send you marketing information by email or mail, or contact you by phone, if you consent to us doing so. When you provide us with your consent to be contacted for marketing purposes, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by following the instructions to “opt out” of receiving marketing communication in each marketing email we send you. Please note that if you opt out from marketing communications, we may still contact you regarding issues related to our Service and to respond to your requests.
2.2.2. Automatically Collected Information
Like most hosted service operators, Layer collects information of the sort that web browsers and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, language preference, referring site and the date and time of each visitor request and store it in log files. Layer also collects Internet Protocol (“IP”) addresses, which can be used to identify the location from which your computer is connecting to the Website, for providing the Service and for support purposes.
Use of such automatically collected information is necessary for the performance of the contract between you and us, to the extent we process information that is needed for providing the Service and for support purposes or is in our legitimate interest in understanding how the Service is being used by you and enhancing your experience on our Website and on the Service.
2.2.3. Information We Process on Behalf of Our Customers
In providing the Service to our customers, we process on behalf of customers certain information that may include Personal Data, relating to customers’ employees, contractors or other users (“Users”) they transmit or otherwise submit to our Service. While our customers or Users decide what data to submit, this information typically includes email addresses.
Layer collects, aggregates, and stores metrics and data relating to, generated by, provided in connection with, or derived from customers’ use of the Service (“Usage Data”) in order to provide, maintain, support, enhance, develop and improve the Service and Layer’s service offerings. Layer will not disclose individual metric or usage data other than in an aggregated and de-identified form. This use of your Personal Data is necessary for our legitimate interests in understanding how the Service is being used by you and to improve your experience on it.
3. Data Retention
4. Disclosure of Personal Data
We disclose the following categories of personal information for a business purpose:
- Certain financial-related information,
- Protected classification information,
- Commercial information,
- Internet or other similar network activity and
- Location data
We share personal information for a business purpose with various categories of third parties. Layer discloses Personal Data only to those of its employees, contractors, and service providers that (1) need to know that data in order to perform certain services and functions on Layer’s behalf and (2) have agreed to data protection and confidentiality obligations requiring them to protect that data. Third-party service providers include: (i) providers of payment processing, customer support services and hosting (which support us in the provision of the Service and maintenance of the Website), (ii) web analytics service providers (which help us collect statistics and other information, including through cookies, about the behaviour of users of the Website and the Service, (iii) marketing and sales automation tools that allow us to manage marketing and sales processes; (iv) phone and chat communication tools that allow us to communicate with prospects and customers; (v) integration tools that allow us to capture data in one platform and send it to another; (vi) survey and poll tools that allows us to capture information about our Service or Website; and (vii) event and meeting platforms that allow us to host and manage virtual and in-person events. Pursuant to our instructions, these parties may access, process or store Personal Data in the course of performing their duties to us and only as necessary to provide the services we request.
Layer may also disclose Personal Data when required to do so by law, such as to comply with a subpoena, bankruptcy proceedings, or similar legal process, or in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements, or when Layer believes in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Layer, third parties, or the public at large.
We do not sell our users’ personal information.
5. Your Rights
Subject to applicable law, you have the following rights in relation to your Personal Data:
- Right of access: If you ask us, we will confirm whether we are processing your Personal Data and, if so, provide you with a copy of that Personal Data along with certain other details. If you require additional copies of the data, we may need to charge a reasonable fee.
- Right to rectification: If your Personal Data is inaccurate or incomplete, you are entitled to ask that we correct or complete it. If we share your Personal Data with others, we will tell them about the correction where possible. If you ask us, and where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data so you can contact them directly.
- Right to erasure: You may ask us to delete or remove your Personal Data, such as where you withdraw your consent. If we share your data with others, we will tell them about the erasure where possible. If you ask us, and where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data so you can contact them directly.
- Right to restrict processing: You may ask us to restrict or ‘block’ the processing of your Personal Data in certain circumstances, such as where you contest the accuracy of the data or object to us processing it. We will tell you before we lift any restriction on processing. If we share your Personal Data with others, we will tell them about the restriction where possible. If you ask us, and where possible and lawful to do so, we will also tell you with whom we shared your Personal Data so you can contact them directly.
- Right to data portability: Effective 25 May 2018, you have the right to obtain your Personal Data from us that you consented to give us or that was provided to us as necessary in connection with our contract with you. We will give you your Personal Data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format. You may reuse it elsewhere.
- Right to object: You may ask us at any time to stop processing your Personal Data, and we will do so if we are processing your Personal Data for direct marketing and otherwise. However, if we are relying on a legitimate interest to process your Personal Data and we demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing we may continue.
- Rights in relation to automated decision-making and profiling: You have the right to be free from decisions based solely on automated processing of your Personal Data, including profiling, that produce a significant legal effect on you, unless such profiling in necessary for entering into, or the performance of, a contract between you and us or you provide your explicit consent.
- Right to withdraw consent: If we rely on your consent to process your Personal Data, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. Withdrawal of consent will not affect any processing of your data before we received notice that you wished to unsubscribe.
- Right to lodge a complaint with the data protection authority: If you have a concern about our privacy practices, including the way we handled your Personal Data, you can report it to the data protection authority that is authorised to hear those concerns.
You may exercise your rights by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
6. International Data Transfers from Europe
Your personal information may be transferred to Layer and its service providers in countries other than the country in which you are resident. These countries may have data protection laws that are different from the laws of your country and may not provide the same level of protection as your country.
7. Model Clauses
If you are located in the European Economic Area, the UK or Switzerland, we will protect your personal information when it is transferred outside of your jurisdiction by (a) processing it in a territory that provides an adequate level of protection based on its data protection laws; or (b) implementing appropriate safeguards to protect your personal information, such as relying on the European standard contractual clauses.
8. Links to Other Websites
9.Social Media Widgets
We take precautions to ensure the security of your Personal Data. We follow generally accepted standards to protect the Personal Data submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it.
That said, like any hosted service provider, we cannot guarantee that unauthorised third parties or unauthorised personnel will not gain access to your Personal Data despite our efforts. You should note that in using the Website and the Service, your information will travel through third-party infrastructures which are not under our control.
If you have any questions about security on the Website or the Service, you can contact us at email@example.com
12. Contact Us
Layer AI, Inc.
548 Market St PMB 40092
San Francisco CA 94104-5401
Phone: +1 415-209-5201